Thursday, December 19, 2013

Offensive Sports Names and Mascots


Is it offensive to have Native American Mascots? I personally don’t think that Native American Mascots are offensive. I don’t think there offensive because they are just a name. I would think that their names are offensive if there were doing offensive things like sphering things or other things to mimic the Native Americans. If people called other people names like ‘Red Skin’ or ‘Black Skin’ then I would think they should change the name. Also if their logos or jerseys were offensive then they should change their names. I’m sure the fans of the Redskins, Braves and Indians are fine with their team names. Also FSU (Florida State University) Seminoles don’t mean to harm Native Americans. I think they should do a vote not for everyone just Native Americans. If names were so bad there wouldn’t be Billikens, Vandals, Ragin’ Cajuns, Trojans, and Hookies to name a few. If there is no harm then why should people change it? When you hear someone talk about a sport and say ‘Redskins’ or Braves’ it’s not in a bad way it’s just the name. People have called them the Redskins since 1932. To me it’s funny how the redskins name became offensive just now. Although people think the name may be offensive really it’s just a name. I personally don’t think they are bad.  Check it out here: http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/08/is-it-offensive-for-sports-teams-to-use-native-american-names-and-mascots/?_r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment